Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a limited funded Federal program with awarding priority given to students who show financial need through the FAFSA and have filed their FAFSA as soon as possible on or after October 1 (prior to the fall semester the student will be attending South Dakota Mines) until funds are exhausted for the award year. This program provides both on and off campus jobs for students. You normally will work between 10 to 12 hours per week, starting at the current Federal or South Dakota minimum wage, whichever is higher, with the option of the department/employer you will be working for to increase your hourly rate based on experience or special training that you have. Your class schedule must always be taken into consideration when agreeing to a work schedule with the department/employer. This results in an annual maximum award of $2500 (however, depending on the situation, the award can be more). 

Student in Work-Study ProgramWork-study is considered spending money for the student, and the student must make the effort to work their award. South Dakota Mines does not expect workers to use their earnings to pay towards their bill with the Student Accounts Office. Students who want to use their earnings to pay on their account must make those arrangements with the Student Accounts Office prior to or during fee payment each semester by signing up for the monthly payment plan.

On-campus positions are available in many different departments across campus. Off-campus employment emphasizes community service work and family literacy programs. Check out this great opportunity for positions available that provide reading tutoring to local kids.

Learn more about the types of Federal Work-Study jobs available.

To finalize your Work-Study award, you will need to complete the following steps:

Fall Semester
  • STEP 1:  You will receive an email notification from the Financial Aid Office around the first part of August if you have been awarded FWS.

  • STEP 2:  All Federal Work-Study students are expected to review and complete the information found in the email notification. The email provides details of your FWS responsibilities and steps you will need to complete in order to work your FWS award.  

  • STEP 3:  You must bring with you to campus a U.S. Passport or, a Drivers License and one of the following: Social Security Card or Birth Certificate. Please note: original documents are required; copies will not be accepted. You will also need to bring a voided check or documentation from the bank that includes the routing number and account number of your bank account for direct deposit of your payroll check.

  • STEP 4:  You will be required to complete employment paperwork with Human Resources that is relative to your FWS position. All employment paperwork must be completed BEFORE you are allowed to begin working.

  • STEP 4:  Please review the FWS Job Descriptions. Once you decide where you want to work you will need to contact the employer you wish to work for in order to get a position established. If you need help obtaining a position, please contact Monica Darrow.

Spring Semester
Those new to the FWS program for the spring semester will be contacted by the Financial Aid Office (via your South Dakota Mines e-mail) with instructions regarding your FWS award and steps that will need to be completed before you can start working your award. Otherwise, if you are already set up with an FWS position from the prior fall semester and plan on continuing with the same employer, you are set to continue working with them.


If your award notification did not list a Federal Work-Study award, you are encouraged to contact our office to see if you would be eligible to be placed on a waiting list.

Non-Federal Work-Study

If you are not eligible for federal work-study, you may visit the Student Employment page for possible non-federal work-study job opportunities.

Financial Aid CTA Banner

Always Here to Help

Financial aid is new territory for many students and their parents, and can some times be complex.

Please feel free to contact the South Dakota Mines Financial Aid Office if you have questions or need assistance on financial aid matters.