Registration FAQ

How do I obtain an ID card?

ID cards are provided during the semester registration period in the Student Accounts/Cashier's Office across from the Surbeck Center Information Desk.

How do I obtain a network login information?

Go to the ITS Help Desk in the lower level of the Library or go to the following URL: for resources and information.

How do I pay my tuition and fees? 

Online payment for tuition and fees can be made via Self-Service Banner from your home computer or from a campus computer lab. Cashiers will be available in the Student Accounts/Cashiers Office, across from the Surbeck Center Information Desk, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm during the semester registration period for paper check payments or for answering online payment questions. (Photo ID required.) Failure to make financial arrangements by deadline may result in cancellation of your classes and/or a late payment fee. 

How do I register for classes?

If you have not yet been accepted for admission/readmission, report to the Office of Admissions in the O'Harra Building, Room 201. Please bring your immunization records with you.

All students should consult with their department advisor to discuss their course schedule. Once you have done this, you may then register online via Self-Service Banner.  If you need help registering, report to the Office of the Registrar, in the O'Harra building.

How do I make a change with my registration and classes? 

If you are a returning or transfer student - consult with your advisor and make the necessary changes to your class schedule online via Self-Service Banner.

If you are an incoming first-time freshman, you will need to come to the Office of the Registrar, to make changes to your schedule.

To change tuition classification, contact the Office of the Registar at

To change or add a Dining Services contract, report to the Student Accounts/Cashier's Office in the Surbeck Center, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.

To change or add a Residence Hall room, report to Residence Life in the Surbeck Center, next to the Information Desk.

How can I set up my "Mines" e-mail account?

All official SD Mines e-mail will be sent to your "Mines" account - it will NOT be forwarded by SD Mines to any other account, so you will need to get in the habit of checking this account regularly until you make the forward yourself from inside your Mines account. Faculty members will also use this account for class work. Your e-mail address will look like:

To login and set up your e-mail, use the following URL:

What do I need to know about student privacy? 

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, (FERPA), affords students certain rights, with respect to their education records. Find more details about FERPA.

Office of the Registrar

O'Harra Building, Room 201

Office Hours

Academic Year:
7:30 am to 4:30 pm
7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Phone: (605) 394-2400

Registrar's Office
Email the Registrar