Advanced Credit Information

Advanced Placement

Entering freshmen students who have completed an AP course in high school and:

  • Have taken and successfully passed the appropriate College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) with a score of 3,  4 or 5 may be selected for advanced course work.
  • See the College Credit page to display courses and AP scores accepted. Academic Affairs Guidelines (PDF)

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP is the College-Level Examination Program , which offers you the opportunity to obtain credits toward your college degree requirements. CLEP offers two types of tests: General Exams and Subject Exams.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

South Dakota Mines recognizes the rigor of IB courses and the IB Diploma Program and encourages students to complete higher-level courses and exams when ready. 

  • Students who complete IB courses and exams and meet the score requirements will be able to earn credit in the corresponding courses at South Dakota Mines. See the College Credit page for more information.

For more information please visit the Board of Regents website

If you have questions regarding AP or IB please contact: 
Office of the Registrar             
501 E. Saint Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD 57701
Phone: (605) 394-2400 or toll-free (605) 394-2414, Ext. 2400

Office of the Registrar

O'Harra Building, Room 201

Office Hours

Academic Year:
7:30 am to 4:30 pm
7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Phone: (605) 394-2400

Registrar's Office
Email the Registrar